Saturday, January 5, 2013

Why the Detox?

I've done the Whole30. Twice. The second time, I made it 38 days before indulging at a dear friend's wedding (at the insistence of the mother of the bride). So why not tackle it again?

Too much room for me to continue my old bad habits but with healthier foods. Sure, that's an improvement. But what I'd really like to do is actually deal with my old bad habits.

The last time I did a Whole30, I ate so. many. dates. I stuffed them with shredded coconut and macadamia nuts, I blended them with cinnamon and walnuts - I ate them straight up when I needed a sugar fix in a big hurry. The 21 Day Sugar Detox (at level three) is pretty much like the Whole30, but with a big restriction on fruit. At most I can have one green apple or one green-tipped banana per day. This really makes me face my cravings. I wander into the kitchen, just in the mood to eat. I reach for something, realize I can't have it, reach for something else, realize I can't have that either. Then I stare at the baby carrots or the walnuts, and decide if I'm actually hungry for one of those things, or just eating out of habit/boredom/whatever.

I'm really determined to make it (at least) 21 days this time, and not flake out (and dive face-first into a pan of homemade granola bars) like I did last time.

Breakfast - Banana nut porridge and licorice tea.
Lunch - Two eggs scrambled with sauteed onion and diced Italian sausage with a big handful of cherry tomatoes.
Supper - Pad Thai.
Snacks - A green-tipped banana and a small handful of hazelnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on YOUR mind?