Sunday, August 12, 2012

Apple Spice Zucchini Breakfast Cake

This "cake" is free of grains, dairy, soy, and refined sugar. Plus it's got lots of eggs, lots of zucchini and apple and some healthy coconut products. So really, you could eat it for breakfast (once in a while) without feeling guilty. Yup - cake for breakfast. :)

Apple Spice Zucchini Breakfast Cake
In a large bowl, whisk together:
8 eggs
1/2 cup melted coconut oil (or you could use butter if it's not an issue for you)
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a small bowl combine:
3/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
4 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir well to combine. Then add:
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 large apple, peeled and diced
1/2 cup walnuts (pecans would also be great)

Stir well and bake in a 9" cake pan (round or square) that has been lined with parchment paper (important!) at 350 for 35-40 minutes* or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before slicing. Also note that this cake improves in taste and texture after a couple of hours at room temperature.

*My oven is a little insane. It may take slightly longer for your cake to bake, as I have to cut the time on everything I bake in my oven.

4 comments:

  1. Yippee! Thanks so much. I am totally trying this soon, definitely before we head out of town for five nights this coming Friday. I'll be bringing this along with me for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks amazing!! I just made those chocolate zucchini muffins today- YUMM-O!! And now I am out of coconut oil... I love how that is now on my grocery list!? Can't wait to make this later this week!

    Oh and Sweet Potato latkes.... AMAZING!!! Also why I am out of coconut oil :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try the latkes and the muffins - yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you really do need to try the latkes especially. They (for me) fill my desire to eat toast with my eggs. Latkes are way better.

      Delete

What's on YOUR mind?