Sunday, March 4, 2012

Day 4 - Limiting Socializing

We had yet another dinner invitation today. We had dinner with friends the last two nights (I was able to eat Whole30-approved dinners both times!), and tonight we were invited to go eat with my husband's family. While family dinners are always enjoyable, we had to say no this time. First, it's been taxing on the kids to be without their bedtime routine the last couple of nights. Second, I'd have to bring my own meal, which would suck. My mother-in-law is a really wonderful cook. I love the dinners she serves us! They're always simple, flavourful, loaded with veggies (which are always cooked just right), and there's always more than enough to go around. The problem is, they're (almost) always stir-fried meals. With soy sauce. Served with rice. Or char siu. And I love char siu! :(

All that considered, we declined the invitation for supper. We skipped the kids' nap (still not ideal) and make the 30-minute drive into town to visit for the afternoon. Supper was plopped in the crock pot this morning, so we could stay and play as long as possible and still come home to a hot meal.

Breakfast - Fried "rice" with diced chicken, red pepper and two "scrambled" eggs (cooked in ghee). Two cups of coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch - A quick coconut curry stir fry with chicken, red pepper and rapini. I've decided I'm so over rapini. I just don't love it. I only bought it because they were out of kale, and I was in the mood for a leafy green

Supper - Easy Paleo Shredded Beef and sauteed baby bok choy (cooked in coconut oil with garlic), and oven-roasted asparagus (with olive oil).

Snacks - A handful of cashews, a nibble of coconut butter, and a bowl of sliced bananas and strawberries.

That last one was a dessert, actually. I'm not sure if eating dessert deliberately and consciously is against the Whole30 rules or not. I got bad news from the doctor's office after church, so after napping with Baby Belle for an hour and a half, I made my lunch and still wanted comfort food. I wanted dessert. I wasn't really craving anything in particular, or even dying for sugar. I just wanted to go through the motions of having dessert to - what? Cheer myself up? Have snacks at the pity party? Who knows. In any case, I figured that even though I was definitely experiencing emotionally-driven eating, at least I was very conscious of it, and I was deliberately choosing to eat something that wouldn't set me back. I'll call it a win.

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog idea. Keep it up, great way to check on recipes. So jealous of you conquering the sugar demon. I'll never conquer dark chocolate, I'm sure. That's ok with me. Abstaining for this time will make me savor it all the more.

    I just made paleo chili and some guacamole for tomorrow's lunch. I used chipotle chili powder - it smells heavenly!

    ReplyDelete

What's on YOUR mind?