Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Day 14 - Victory is Purple

I bought clothes yesterday. Cheap, clearance rack clothes at one of my favourite spots to shop. I wanted a little pick-me-up after having my head - ahem, my scalp - diagnosed. I wanted to buy something that I wouldn't normally pick up, but that I'd always wished I'd had the nerve to buy.

Skinny purple corduroy pants? Yes please! On for $10?! Even YESSER! Have I ever told you how much I love purple? Since losing the weight I've lost so far, I've been challenging myself to add some colour to my wardrobe. I'd fallen in a serious black/grey rut when I was overweight. The amount of purple I own now is staggering. (In addition to the pants, I also picked up a cute lilac cardigan for $5. Oh, and a black Adidas-style track jacket for $7.)

Now here's the kicker - the pants are a size two. Two. Not one-two. Just two. When I signed up for Weight Watchers back in May, I was sporting a size twelve - from the same store where I bought those twos. This is particularly exciting, because I was a solid four when I started this Whole30 two weeks ago. Score.

Breakfast - My wonderful, amazing and thoughtful husband made me an omelette with taco meat, green peppers and salsa. Also, I had coffee with coconut milk - the plan is to try going coffee-free tomorrow. We shall see...

Lunch - The end of the sausage & sweet potato frittata. I had made some guacamole to go with it, but the avocado was. not. good. Ick. The plan was to eat it in a lettuce wrap with tomatoes. So disappointing. I filled up by having some of last night's leftover spaghetti squash with meat sauce.

Supper - Oh. My. BBQed ribs and grilled onions, zucchini and asparagus. I did a dry-rub for the meat (salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder), then sealed it in foil with a little white wine (and no, the wine didn't actually go in the food, so it's not really cheating). They slow-cooked in the oven for about two or two and a half hours at a low temperature. Then I made a batch of the barbecue sauce from Paleo Comfort Foods. I tasted it at the end, and while delicious, it was way too spicy for my liking. Curries should be spicy. Barbecue sauce should have a sweetness to balance the heat, in my opinion. So what's a sugar-free girl to do? Throw in a couple of finely chopped dates and a small handful of raisins, that's what! I let it simmer a little longer then blended it. Perfection! I'll definitely make that again. (And fortunately there's lots of sauce left for supper another night!)

A good friend had a baby a week and a half ago, and is having a difficult recovery. (Four days of labour and five hours of pushing will do that to a girl.) We signed up for two shifts of meal-bringing, but each meal that gets dropped off is supposed to do for two suppers. The problem is, these people are good Catholics so no meat on Friday. Our meals are supposed to cover tomorrow, Friday, Saturday and Sunday - I didn't want them to have to have a meatless meal on Thursday just to work around Friday's obligation, so it means making three separate meals.

Tomorrow, they'll have tacos. Who doesn't love tacos?! Friday is a broccoli and cheddar frittata with a big pot of vegetable soup. But Saturday - I'm stumped. If you'd just had your first baby and someone was bringing you food, what would you want?

5 comments:

  1. Hi :-) I've been reading your blog for about a week now and I wanted to say Great job on your discipline and I bet you will rock your new purple pants :-) As far as what I would want if I had just had a baby...I'd say pizza! lol (because I could not tolerate while pregnant) but since that's probably tricky to transport, maybe a calzone ring?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVEEEEE purple :) and so does my Lucy..

    As for what I would want to eat.. probably something fun like pita bread, hummus and grilled chicken and salad. Or maybe a rice or quinoa salad with roasted meat on the side. Please give your friends our love and congrats!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome TMcGee! I just had a chance to start reading some of your posts - happened to notice we're the same age. :) Who says you can't look your best in your 30's, right?

    Katie, I'll send along your congrats to the Boudreaus. :) They still need some prayers, I think - the learning curve is steep, and Rachel's delivery was so rough.

    And now, I need to decide whether to make them calzones or the hummus and pita idea... Hm... No reason I can't make ALL of it, just in smaller portions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the warm welcome :-) and I'm sure no matter what you make, they will love it because one..they didnt have to make it and sleep deprivation makes just about everything taste heavenly lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew you were going to give up coffee!! I have some good ideas for meals for new moms...but they aren't gluten/whole 30 so I feel bad posting them on this blog! Msg me if you want

    ReplyDelete

What's on YOUR mind?