Monday, March 12, 2012

Day 12 - Jinxed It

Well, I jinxed it. Baby Belle did not sleep last night. That poor husband of mine was up with her every hour from 9:30 until 2:30am. Then she slept a two-hour stretch and was up for the day at 4:30am! So between the horrid sleep and being so early in his Whole30, I sent him to bed for two naps today.

Fortunately, we had a nice day otherwise. We headed to a brand new IKEA this morning - it's mammoth. You could honest-to-goodness get lost in there if it weren't for those perky little arrows on the floor. The kids had a blast, and we bought a few things to spruce up Music Man's new "big boy room", and organize some of their toys. After their naps, we hauled out the double stroller and went for a walk because it was gorgeous out. Plus-something-double-digit and just slightly overcast. And where did we walk? A produce market just down the street from us. About a 15-20 minute walk (with two dawdlers) brings us to a small market that sells all local produce. What a gem!

Breakfast - Frittata with diced Italian sausage, sauteed onions and shredded sweet potato. Coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch - I had two minutes to make lunch, and only one hand to eat it with, since Baby Belle crashed in my lap (for two hours!). Cubed chicken breast, cucumber slices and... two muffins.* (Well, one before lunch time when we were at IKEA and I was smelling those $0.75 hotdogs...)

Supper - Fried chicken (from Paleo Comfort Foods - YUM!!) and cabbage. (We got a GIANT head of cabbage for $1.50 down the street!) I shredded it and sauteed it in olive oil with some thinly sliced onion. Then I tossed in some garlic (fresh and powdered), two cubes** of homemade chicken stock and a couple tablespoons of tomato paste, and let it cook down for about half an hour. Even Baby Belle liked it!

Snacks - I didn't really snack today, other than that one pre-lunch muffin.

*Yeah, I SWYPOed. Big time. I think I'm okay with it though. This week (while we're on the go so much) I really need things that are quick, easy, portable AND that the baby can/will eat. So I made banana coconut muffins, with only Whole30-approved ingredients. (The only sweetness is from the bananas themselves.) They're delicious, and I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy them considering the lack of added sugar!

**When I make homemade stock, I always freeze some in ice cube trays then transfer the frozen cubes to a plastic freezer bag. It's great for when I only need a little bit of stock for steaming/sauteeing, or a 1/4 cup or so to go in the crockpot with a roast. I do the same thing with tomato paste, but with a mini ice cube tray.

3 comments:

  1. Very much enjoying your updates - still praying for Baby Belle's sleep!

    We were at Ikea today too - might have walked right by you. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the prayers, Carly! Last night was much better - hoping for better again tonight, but bedtime isn't going so well.

    It's funny that you think you may have been able to walk past my family without spotting us - at any given moment during our trip to IKEA at least one of the kids was completely bonkers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! We were on a mission at Ikea - we stopped for no one and honestly skirted around any number of kids having meltdowns without batting an eye. In fact, I don't think I looked a single person in the eye while dashing about. Sheesh.

    Still praying and am glad to hear last night was better! I'm "late" with my prayers as I do mine before bed (I'm an night owl) so am often offering you up after 11 pm. But God doesn't work on our time so I figure He's got you covered anyway. :o) And I always say a specific "no more wakings for the rest of night" prayer now too. Will have to add the bedtime too.

    ReplyDelete

What's on YOUR mind?